Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:08:07 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison@...uia.com>
Subject: Re: CVE's for Drupal Contrib 2012 001 through 057
 (67 new CVE assignments)

On 04/10/2012 10:30 AM, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> I had a few questions/comments as I updated these - inline below:
>
> "NO CVE","SA-CONTRIB-2012-050","CDN2 Video -
>> Unsupported","https://drupal.org/node/1506542"
>>

> While the backend service and module are no longer active, there
> are 70 sites using this module who are vulnerable to CSRF/XSS. What
> is the reason not to give it a CVE?

I was under the impression that if the backend was off the plugin
wouldn't work/expose the vuln, I could of course be wrong, if so I'll
assign a CVE.

>> "NO CVE","SA-CONTRIB-2012-056","Janrain Engage - Sensitive Data
>> Protection Vulnerability","https://drupal.org/node/1515282"
>>

> We debated a bit about this one and whether to make it an SA or
> not. In the end we decided that if a module were persisting the
> password in plain text that would deserve an SA so this one
> (persisting a login token in plain text) should also get an SA. Do
> you have any guidance on how you think we should have handled it?

Well the CVE inclusion decisions:

Pro assignment:
Does exploitation of the issue provide the attacker with extra
privileges or information, or cause a denial of service, that the
attacker would not already have before they attempt to exploit the issue?

Anti-assignment:
Is the issue site-specific? Is it only in an online service
(software-as-a-service), on a specific web site, or only offered
through hosting solutions that are under the full control of the vendor?
Does the issue only affect a version that was never made generally
available to the vendor's customers?

> If you have any further suggestions on how we can improve the
> content or formatting of the SAs please let me know.

Direct links to the code commits fixing them would be nice =)

> Thanks, Greg

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993