Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:37:43 +0000
From: Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Mark Stanislav <mark.stanislav@...il.com>,
 "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@...m-barratt.org.uk>,
 Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

On Friday 16 Mar 2012 16:11:04 Mark Stanislav wrote:
> All points being made are very much valid and I certainly understand how
> contextually oss-sec may be used to allocation requests under different
> circumstances.
>
> So here's my situation, I'm up for suggestions (of which, "wait longer", is
> perfectly viable!)...
>
> 1) March 1st, I sent 2 of these CVEs over to Steve Christy at MITRE who had
> previously allocated 9 prior CVEs in a day or two generally
> 2) March 8th, after not hearing back from Steve, I contacted
> cve@...redirectly with all 5
> 3) March 15th, after not hearing back from MITRE, I contacted Kurt off list
> as I've noted his helpfulness doing allocations
> 3a) Kurt pointed me to email the list, rather than him directly (which is
> perfectly fine, but perhaps not the context I was aiming for initially)

Josh Bressers (Josh, correct me if I'm using your name in vain) used to be
quite happy to assign CVEs for undisclosed (embargoed) F/OSS issues providing
details were forthcoming with the request.   If Josh is no longer able to
fulfil that role due to a change of circumstance at Redhat it would be nice if
someone stepped into the breach -  be that Redhat, Debian or one of the other
CNAs.  There is definately a place for "disclosed to project, being/been fixed,
not public - can I have a CVE?" without deferring to the distros list or MITRE
- most of the time projects can respond in a timely fashion, so a minimum
effort approach is ideal.

As an aside, the public address for MITRE on the web site is wrong AFAIK.
Quoting Steve Christey:

"Apologies for the delay.  In the future, please use cve-assign@...re.org
for requests related to CVE reservation."

From last time I went to MITRE (for a closed source product).

Tim
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:tmb@...35.com>

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)