Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:30:35 -0400
From: Mark Stanislav <mark.stanislav@...il.com>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:

> On 03/16/2012 09:53 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:20:37AM -0400, Mark Stanislav wrote:
> >> None of the details of these issues have been publicly discussed or
> released as I am trying (without much success) to allocate a CVE prior to
> sending out a coordinated advisory including that identifier as I always
> have done and as the mitre site indicates to do.
> >>
> >> There are no reference links to provide and I am not publicizing
> details on this list before the developer can be informed of the CVE.
> >>
> >> I'm happy to take this off list as I am sure no one cares about any of
> this discussion
>
> In which case you can ask for them on VS@ list where the issue will
> remain embargoed. If the issue is so sensitive you cannot leak
> details/etc then you need to contact Mitre directly (this will also
> ensure no duplicates/etc.).

Is "VS@" supposed to be vendor-sec; the defunct list? Or is there another
list I am not aware of? If so, can you please give me the *full* address?
Thanks.

> > No, please keep this on the list.  Discussions on how to handle
> > vulnerability disclosure (including the CVE ID assignment step) are
> > definitely on topic for oss-security.
>
> Yes and I need to finish documenting this stuff (it's become obvious we
> need to educate people on how the system works and why it works that
> way, we're not insane, we have good reasons for doing it the way we do,
> honest =).

I'd say you may want to coordinate that documentation with Steve Christy as
the nine times he allocated CVEs for me directly, this sort of conversation
never came up. I can understand frustration on your part that people may
not be educated, but realize that if CNAs handle this process differently,
it may not be a matter of education on how 'the system works' but rather
consistency within the entire process, agnostic of whom is allocating a CVE.

I again, do appreciate your time but I suppose I'll just wait for Steve or
whomever is manning cve@...re to contact me back.

Best,

-Mark