Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:58:18 -0400
From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- kernel: sysctl: restrict write
 access to dmesg_restrict

>> I also agree with Vasiliy's point that LXC security boundaries in the
>> mainline kernel are not well defined at this point, so the whole thing
>> is a bit silly.
>
> Just wondering - do you usually ack patches that you consider silly?

Just because a patch doesn't fix an immediate problem right now
doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do.  For consistency's sake,
it makes sense that it should require CAP_SYS_ADMIN to modify this
sysctl, and it's certainty not a bad idea to move towards a more
well-defined security boundary for LXC for the future.  That's why I
ack'ed the patch.  I simply meant that assigning a CVE for this case
was silly because it doesn't represent a violation of a real security
boundary.

-Dan