Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:37:59 -0500
From: Jamie Strandboge <jamie@...onical.com>
To: Wouter Coekaerts <coekie@...si.org>
Cc: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@...onical.com>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE request: irssi 0.8.15

FYI,

I backported the following svn commits to 0.8.14 for the SSL issue:
r5104:
  Check if an SSL certificate matches the hostname of the server we are
  connecting to
r5107:
  Use one SSL_CTX per connection, use default trusted CAs if nothing
  specified. This allows useful use of -ssl_verify without
  -ssl_cafile/-ssl_capath, using OpenSSL's default trusted CAs.
r5108:
  Call OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms(), may be needed to verify SHA256
  certs with certain versions of OpenSSL.
r5116:
  network-openssl: Show why a certificate failed validation.
r5136
  Do not use SSLv2 protocol. From Bazerka.

However, after rolling it out Steve Langasek discovered a bug when
connecting to an SSL irc proxy server[1]. His patch (attached) adjusts
it so when we have a proxy setting, expect the CN to match the proxy
hostname, not the server hostname

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/irssi/+bug/565182

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com

View attachment "irssi-565182.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (1185 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)