Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:47:08 +0200
From: Wouter Coekaerts <coekie@...si.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: irssi 0.8.15

Hi,

> I believe assignment of CVE-2010-1154 is redundant here, given that
> CVE-2010-1155 is about the completely missing server name check.  If it
> wasn't checking names, it wasn't handling \0 in names incorrectly.

Indeed. It never checked the hostname at all, so there was no mishandling of \0.

> The crash bits mentioned in the changelog are very ambiguous. The git tree
> isn't any more clear than that. There appear to be two crashes, both sound
> like NULL pointer dereferences that cannot be triggered by an attacker. If
> I'm wrong, please speak up.

It is about this entry in the changelog/NEWS:
- Fix crash when checking for fuzzy nick match when not on the channel.
  Reported by Aurelien Delaitre (SATE 2009).

The fix is revision 5126
( http://svn.irssi.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/irssi/trunk/src/core/nicklist.c?root=irssi&r1=4922&r2=5126
)

It is only exploitable (resulting in a crash) at the exact moment the
victim is leaving a channel.
With some good timing it can be triggered by an attacker.

Regards,

Wouter aka coekie
Irssi developer.