Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:32:32 +0100 (CET)
From: "Thijs Kinkhorst" <thijs@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: "Steven Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: CVE-2008-5621 is a duplicate (was: Re: CVE request:
     phpMyAdmin < 3.1.1.0 (SQL injection through XSRF on several pages ))

Hi Steve,

Sorry for responding this late, I missed the initial assignment.

On Wed, December 17, 2008 02:52, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> Two separate CVE's are assigned, one for the original milw0rm exploit and
>  the other for the unspecified vectors implied by the implied "XSRF on
> several pages" in the PMASA-2008-10 advisory.

I believe this is a misinterpretation of the advisory, and upstream has
confirmed that to me. There is only one issue and that is the one which
CVE-2008-5621 refers to.

I suspect that this comes from a misundertanding of the text of this
advisory:
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security/PMASA-2008-10.php
The problem is in a backend function, and this function is called from
multiple pages, which means that the issue can be exploited through
"several pages" as mentioned in the advisory which all accept the "table"
parameter.

The patch referenced from the advisory patches one line in the backend
function and is sufficient to resolve the things mentioned in
PMASA-2008-10.

I propose that CVE-2008-5622 gets marked as a duplicate of CVE-2008-5621
or rejected.

cheers,
Thijs