Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:49:53 -0400
From: Jamie Strandboge <>
To: "Steven M. Christey" <>
Cc:, Jamie Strandboge <>
Subject: Re: CVE request for dnsmasq DoS

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is a remote DoS in dnsmasq 2.25 (and presumably earlier) that is
> > fixed in 2.26. Details can be found at [1]. Can we get a CVE assigned
> > for this?
> I'm not sure I fully understand Thierry Carrez' comment about the security
> implications of this issue.  It seems like an exploit would require a
> malicious DHCP server, in which case isn't DHCP service already
> compromised?  If so, then a crash of dnsmasq (null dereference?) doesn't
> seem to be any worse than the loss of DHCP itself.
I haven't had time to develop a PoC, but from the dnsmasq 2.26 announce
page at [1], a client need only send a crafted renewal request to crash
the server. Thierry's comments were only for trying to reproduce the
problem and test the patch.

Ubuntu Security Engineer     |
Canonical Ltd.               |

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]