Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:23:51 +0200
From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request for dnsmasq DoS

Hi Steven,
* Steven M. Christey <coley@...us.mitre.org> [2008-07-02 00:05]:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> > There is a remote DoS in dnsmasq 2.25 (and presumably earlier) that is
> > fixed in 2.26. Details can be found at [1]. Can we get a CVE assigned
> > for this?
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand Thierry Carrez' comment about the security
> implications of this issue.  It seems like an exploit would require a
> malicious DHCP server, in which case isn't DHCP service already
> compromised?  If so, then a crash of dnsmasq (null dereference?) doesn't
> seem to be any worse than the loss of DHCP itself.

Why is a malicious DCHP server needed? As far as I
understood the bug a client that doesn't already have a
lease would just need to send a DHCPREQUEST to refresh its
non-existant lease.
Cheers
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@...ber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]