Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:13:02 -0300
From: "Matias A. Fonzo" <selk@...gora.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New Exherbo+musl stage: x86_64-pc-linux-musl-20160621

Hi Dalias,
El Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:01 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> escribió:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 12:20:30PM -0300, Matias A. Fonzo wrote:

> > > Switching to a format almost nobody has a decompressor for,
> > > especially for something like a stage3 that is often extracted in
> > > a live environment with no options to extra install packages,
> > > doesn’t seem like a good idea.
> > >
> > > - Shiz
> >
> > Distribute files and impose to your users in having xz, is a bad
> > idea.
>
> Decompressing xz is supported by busybox and internally by busybox tar
> and gnu tar, so I don't see any practical risk of the user not having
> support. On the other hand, nobody has ever heard of lzip or clzip and
> they're certainly not supported in the widely available tools.

GNU Tar has support for lzip, Star from Solaris, too.  And there's a
patch to include full lzip support in busybox:

  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/lzip/busybox/
  http://savannah.c3sl.ufpr.br//lzip/busybox/README_busybox_lzip_patch

Lzip was created *before* than xz, as a replacement for the old
"lzma-alone".

Quote from http://lzip.nongnu.org/xz_inadequate.html :

"Then, why some free software projects use xz?

Because evaluating formats is difficult and most free software projects
are not concerned about long-term archiving, or even about format
quality. Therefore they tend to use the most hyped formats. Both
lzma-alone and xz have gained some popularity in spite of their defects
mainly because they are associated to the popular 7-zip archiver.

This of course is sad because we software developers are among the few
people who are able to understand the strengths and weaknesses of
formats. We have a moral duty to choose wisely the formats we use
because everybody else will blindly use whatever formats we choose."

--
GPG pub ID = 0x3AAF1CEC203A99D5
Key servers = hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net - keys.gnupg.net