Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:55:30 +0200
From: Harald Becker <ralda@....de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Still not possible to send mail to domain libc.org

Hi Rich,

extending my search on qhe net I found the following:

All of the senders experiencing the bounced messages mentioning cname
lookup failure appear to be running the qmail mail server software.

Qmail, if not using a third party patch that was written in the late
90’s, has an issue sending to domains whose name servers respond to DNS
queries of type “ANY” with more than 512 bytes of data; that is a bug in
qmail and the author has never fixed it because he wants you to use his
DNS server software which also eliminates the issue in a different way.

Google’s name servers do respond to queries of type “ANY” with more than
512 bytes of data, so when an unpatched qmail server tries to send an
email to a domain whose lowest cost MX record ends in .google.com, qmail
is going to do a DNS query of type ANY against one of google.com’s
authoritative name servers, get back more than it can correctly handle
and defer repeatedly until ultimately bouncing the message with that
cname lookup failure…

Harald