Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 03:12:10 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: regcomp regression?

* Samuel Holland <samuel@...lland.net> [2014-10-15 16:01:25 -0500]:
> I've been rebuilding packages after the 1.1.5 release, and it's caused
> some (apparent) regressions. file no longer compiles as it is unable to
> parse one of its magic files. The offending regex is (windows, line 163)
>
>   \\`(\r\n|;|[[]|\xFF\xFE)
>
> It's testing for the BOM at the beginning of an INI/INF file. I
> understand the regex rewrite removed[1] the ability to match arbitrary
> bytes (even with the C locale) because it was broken; is this something
> you plan to add back? Or is the application wrong? If so, what
> workaround do you suggest?

this was a bug in file (in theory we could provide such extension, but
it's non-trivial and applications should not rely on it: posix re is not
usable for binary data)

there is upstream fix:
http://bugs.gw.com/view.php?id=383

> The m4 testsuite also now fails tests 109 and 121; this seems to be
> caused by the same change.
>
> [1] http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/commit?id=ec1aed0a144b3e00e16eeb142c9d13362d6048e7

this commit only made the bug more visible (fail at regex parse time
instead of building a nonsense state machine in case of invalid
characters)

i didnt know about m4 issues, are you talking about
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=m4.git;a=blob;f=tests/testsuite.at
?