Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 00:10:12 -0500
From: Bobby Bingham <koorogi@...rogi.info>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Building a solid musl automated-testing framework

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 05:47:16PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> I'd like to figure out how to setup the openadk test framework, or
> adapt things from it, for automated testing all musl ports. The repo

I like this idea.  I'll probably start looking into putting this
together soon if nobody gets to it first.

> is here:
>
> http://www.openadk.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=adk-test-framework.git
>
> There's a lot of stuff hard-coded for the openadk toolchains, whereas
> I'd like to be able to use it with the musl-cross toolchains which are
> more canonical. The scripts also seem to be incompatible with busybox
> (using GNU features in something for making the initramfs, probably
> cpio?). And by default it tries to test musl 1.0.1 and doesn't have an
> obvious way to test from git.
>
> The idea I have in mind for using it as a basis for automated testing
> would be:
>
> 1. Have a Makefile and a subdirectory full of cross compiler trees.
>    The set of archs could be based purely on the set of cross
>    compilers, computed by the Makefile based on directory contents.
>
> 2. Have the Makefile clone/pull one musl tree from upstream git and
>    then clone/pull an additional copy of the tree per arch/subarch
>    (with the set of archs determined as in point 1).
>
> 3. Build each musl (via recursive make, i.e. make calling configure
>    and make in each musl clone) and install them into the cross
>    compiler include/lib dirs for their corresponding cross compilers.
>
> 4. Do like points 2 and 3, but for libc-test repo.
>
> 5. Use the kernel, initrd, and qemu stuff from the adk-test-framework
>    to build initrd images and run them.

Last I looked, libc-test didn't support being built on one system and
run on another.  Has this changed?

> The idea of using a Makefile (aside from declarative being The Right
> Way to do anything like this :) is to make it easy to make a single
> fix and re-run the test without rebuilding everything. Of course

+1

> rebuilding (via a "make clean" or similar) should aof coursebe an
> option and what's usually used.
>
> Does any of this make sense? Or is it simpler to get this kind of
> automated testing just making a few tweaks to the existing scripts?
>
> It would be ideal if the whole thing would work with dumping the test
> repo on a system not necessarily setup for running it (e.g. some kind
> of build farm or 'cloud computing' resource) and just produce the
> results that could be read offline.

+1

--
Bobby Bingham

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)