Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 13:34:31 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: reserved symbol violations

On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 06:57:00PM +0200, Jens Gustedt wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.08.2014, 12:37 -0400 schrieb Rich Felker:
> > On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 06:28:03PM +0200, Jens Gustedt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >  by digging into the symbols that are dragged into a C11 thread
> > > executable I noticed that there are some hotspots that should perhaps
> > > be worth looking at. I attach a file that summarizes the findings.
> > >
> > > One is simple, I'd change the reference to clock_gettime in
> > > __timedwait to __clock_gettime.
> >
> > That's fine.
>
> ok
>
> > I have no idea how to make it get linked only if both are used, and I
> > suspect it's impossible. However, there's no namespace violation here;
> > setrlimit and set*id are from POSIX, not ISO C. So it's just excess
> > bloat.
>
> Hm, even inside POSIX this is not conforming, I think. POSIX has a
> quite precise idea which headers make which symbols visible.

Headers and "making it visible" are not involved here. See XBD 2.2.2
The Name Space:

    The following identifiers are reserved regardless of the inclusion
    of headers:

    4. All functions and external identifiers defined in XBD Headers
    are reserved for use as identifiers with external linkage.

    5. All the identifiers defined in this volume of POSIX.1-2008 that
    have external linkage are always reserved for use as identifiers
    with external linkage.