Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 10:11:57 -0400
From: John Mudd <johnbmudd@...il.com>
To: musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: MUSL_LIBRARY_PATH ?

Possible dumb question...

I built Python using musl. Not easy but it works.

I also build libraries for Ncurses, Readline, Zlib, OpenSSL, BZip2 so that
all of that so the corresponding Python modules are working. Then I
installed setuptools and pip in Python. Then I used pip to download and
install several modules: Requests, ConcurrentLogHandlerand Psutil. All
using musl.

I experimented with dynamic and static binding for the musl lib. I lean
toward dynamic because I may have a need for the "shared" version of Python.

So now I can run this on older machines. That helps me because I need to
deploy on old boxes. Upgrading the O/S is not an option.

But I run into trouble when I start setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that Python
can locate the Readline and other libs. The musl built Python works but
these libs start causing native program to fail. e.g.  "vim: error while
header".

And there's the ld-musl-i386.so.1 file in dynamic mode. I
specified --syslibdir=/tmp when I build musl so that's where I place the
lib. It works but I'd like more flexibility.

I'm naive so my question is... how about a separate MUSL_LIBRARY_PATH shell
variable. Just like LD_LIBRARY_PATH but specific to programs built using
musl. That way I assume I could mix my musl Python with native apps.

As long as I'm asking, can MUSL_LIBRARY_PATH also specify where to
find ld-musl-i386.so.1? That might be crazy because a dynamic musl program
can't start without the lib so it can't interrogate a shell variable? I'm
still asking even though it might require magic.

John

Content of type "text/html" skipped