Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:10:56 +0000
From: Raphael Cohn <raphael.cohn@...rmmq.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: _PATH_LASTLOG

Thanks for that - just having a list is an useful place to start. I think
the default file names are quite sensible - especially for a common
run-anywhere use case. And some - where mandated by POSIX - probably should
never change. What would be nice might be to be able to define the prefix
for /etc to something else (so we can use atomic symlink changes to flip
configs).

I'd like to have more of a think about the other paths. We're only a short
way into our project, so our ideas might change. What we're looking at is a
Nixos-like linux, where we rebuild only packages because other packages
have changed. We want to keep every package isolated, so we can apply PATH
controls, fine-grained capability permissions, chattr -ai, etc. Part of
doing this means we don't want paths 'hanging around' inside libraries that
are used if present - as these allow an attacker (or more likely, a duff
package) to accidentally stop itself working, ie if there's no /usr/lib on
system, then nothing should be able to stick itself in /usr/lib and
override the system setup.

PS As an aside, I've always wanted /etc/hosts to also have a parallel
/etc/hosts.d/. It'd make maintaining things without a DNS server extremely
easy - think dynamically adding and removing VMs in most cloud providers,
especially those where multicast DNS doesn't work... like Azure. (Yes, I
had a client that insisted on using it with Linux). Likewise it'd be nice
to be able to add and remove DNS servers with a /etc/resolv.conf.d. Makes
automated config and change management and audit that bit easier. (Debian
do this using run-parts for lots of things for those sorts of reasons).

Raphael Cohn
Chief Architect, stormmq
Co-Chair, OASIS MQTT Standard
Secretary, OASIS AMQP Standard
raphael.cohn@...rmmq.com
+44 7590 675 756

UK Office:
Hamblethorpe Farm, Crag Lane, Bradley BD20 9DB, North Yorkshire, United
Kingdom
Telephone: +44 845 3712 567

Registered office:
16 Anchor Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JY, United Kingdom
StormMQ Limited is Registered in England and Wales under Company Number
07175657
StormMQ.com

Content of type "text/html" skipped