Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:30:31 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Best place to discuss other lightweight libraries?

On 04/24/2013 06:39:56 AM, LM wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net> wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time busybox.net was collecting some of these:
> >
> >   http://busybox.net/tinyutils.html
> >

> Thanks for mentioning this.  I've seen the page before, but this was
> an
> opportune time to go back and revisit it.  One thing on my todo list
> is to
> find a non-interactive way to build Perl and microperl (as mentioned
> on the
> page) appears to be just the solution I was looking for.

The automated Linux From Scratch 6.8 build I did in Aboriginal Linux
builds perl without requiring user interaction.

wget http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin/system-image-mips.tar.bz2 (or
whichever)
tar xvjf system-image-mips.tar.bz2
cd system-image-mips
wget
http://landley.net/aboriginal/control-images/downloads/binaries/lfs-bootstrap.hdc
./native-build.sh lfs-bootstrap.hdc

Does require qemu to be installed on the host...

(I don't _think_ that lfs-bootstrap binary is too stale. The
system-image-mips is from the start of this month, when I finally got
the darn arm bugs ironed out of the 3.8 kernel. I've been meaning to
update to LFS 7.3 before cutting a new release, that one's 6.8. Plus a
new dropbear binary came out for the static-tools.hdc build control
image...)

However, I note all that currently builds against uClibc, not musl.
(Day job eats time...)

> Would be curious if anyone's tried using the microperl makefile with
> musl.

Microperl is part of the normal perl build. The perl build system is
implemented _in_ perl (configure and make both), so first they build
microperl to run the rest of it.

It's not really an intentionally shipped product, just a side effect of
perl's head being up its own ass.

> I ran a search to see if I could dig up any more information on
> microperl.
> I did see mention that the Perl developers weren't sure if they'd
> continue
> to support it in the future.  Also found a couple of build scripts.
> Both
> install microperl executable and then create a link to perl using
> it.  Both
> install various .pm files, but they each installed different sets of
> files.  If anyone comes across documentation on installing microperl
> or has
> any recommendations on which files are most useful to install and
> where to
> put them, would be very interested in more details.

I'm under the vague impression that microperl is just a perl
interpreter with several of the default libraries bundled into it, so
it doesn't need to find anything in external search paths to run the
perl configure and build.

I remember that people using it outside the perl build originally came
as a surprise to the perl developers, but that was something like a
decade ago and I expect they're used to it by now. Doesn't mean they
put effort into supporting it...

Rob