Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:47:54 +0200
From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz@...t70.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vfprintf.c:(.text+0xc6c): undefined reference to
 `__signbitl'

* John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de> [2013-04-10 10:24:10 +0200]:
> On 04/09/2013 10:15 PM, meres5@...ha.tmit.bme.hu wrote:
> >
> >>the correct thing to do is to build a toolchain with 64bit
> >>long double
> >I won't touch the Debian tool chain. . .
> >We are on PPC and not cross compiling for PSP3 :-)
>
> nobody says that you should mess with your debian toolchain.
>
> but you should build a properly configured, musl-agnostic toolchain
> so that the binaries you produce don't work by luck only.
> (using a different prefix so everything is safely kept away from
> your debian TC)

for serious usage that's the right thing to do

but it may be overkill to require a complete toolchain
when someone just wants to try out musl

> >Bad news:
> >  - Someone had better to have a look at those conditionals in
> >    __signbitl.c and __fpclassifyl.c
>
> no, we do not intend to support broken configurations that produce
> broken code.

i was thinking that it should be possible to support the
case when the powerpc toolchain is double-double but the
user guarantees that no long double arithmetics is used

(ie we only need to fix the internal long double usage so
double inputs are handled correctly)

although it's probably easier to just add -mlong-double=64
during the musl build

the unsupported format can be detected in the configure
script (the user will have to use -mlong-double=64
consistently then though, but we can add it to the musl-gcc
wrapper as well)