Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 07:07:38 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl setup attempt

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 07:54:18 -0400
LM <lmemsm@...il.com> wrote:

> I tried following the instructions at
> http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/INSTALL for Option 1.  Built

I presume that means you used current git?

> musl on a Debian Squeeze system and while configuring, set the prefix,
> exec-prefix and syslibdir to a subdirectory beneath my home directory
> and set target to i386.  A few programs seem to build and run fine
> with this setup.  For instance, I was able to get bzip2 and diffh to
> build and they run right on my Debian system.  However, several other
> programs build without any complaints and when I try to run them, I
> get input/output error.  I see that when I try to run programs like
> bzip2 or some of the utilities with wavpack for instance.  I assumed
> that possibly the program couldn't find the loader to load relevant

If that were the issue, you could not run anything. The loader is specified by the specfile musl-gcc uses, and it's what make the program run.  If libraries are missing, the program will generally fail to run (depending on your settings).
So it's probably something else.

> libraries.  I have /etc/ld-musl-i386.path set to the home directory
> where I installed the musl lib files and I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variable set to that lib directory as well.  When that
> didn't work, I even went in and tried to hardcode dynlink.c and
> reloc.h to point to my locations.  Still getting the same errors.
> Anyone have any ideas what for work-arounds or fixes?

No ideas just yet, but it would probably be most helpful if you installed strace, then used it on bzip2:
(this assumes prefix=~/; replace everything with appropriate paths)

apt-get install strace
#If I read correctly, bzip2 was affected-
#if not, use a program that is affected.
strace ~/bin/bzip2 -k ~/lib/libc.so 2>musl.strace
ls ~/lib/  #You should see libc.so, libc.so.bz2, and others

Then either look through musl.strace and find what's just before the io errors, or just attach the file (you'll likely need to compress it, unless the io error cuts it short).

grep -B 7 -i input.output musl-bz2.strace

--
Isaac Dunham <idunham@...abit.com>