Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 19:49:15 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl setup attempt

On 03/13/2013 12:54 PM, LM wrote:
> I tried following the instructions at
> http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/INSTALL for Option 1.  Built
> musl on a Debian Squeeze system and while configuring, set the prefix,
> exec-prefix and syslibdir to a subdirectory beneath my home directory
> and set target to i386.  A few programs seem to build and run fine
> with this setup.  For instance, I was able to get bzip2 and diffh to
> build and they run right on my Debian system.  However, several other
> programs build without any complaints and when I try to run them, I
> get input/output error.  I see that when I try to run programs like
> bzip2 or some of the utilities with wavpack for instance.  I assumed
> that possibly the program couldn't find the loader to load relevant
> libraries.  I have /etc/ld-musl-i386.path set to the home directory
> where I installed the musl lib files and I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variable set to that lib directory as well.  When that
> didn't work, I even went in and tried to hardcode dynlink.c and
> reloc.h to point to my locations.  Still getting the same errors.
> Anyone have any ideas what for work-arounds or fixes?

please see http://wiki.musl-libc.org/Getting_started .
it has detailed instructions about how to use musl from /home.
after installation, the key point is to use "CC=musl-gcc" when running
configure scripts.

if you still get that error, please provide the exact command you issue
and the complete error message.
in order to debug dynlinker issues, you can always use
readelf -a mybinary | grep -i interp
that will show you the dynamic linker baked into an executable.
readelf -a mybinary | grep -i needed
will show you which other dynamic libraries are used.

also note that many programs need patches because they're using
non-portable constructs.
here you can find build instructions for some programs:
https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage/tree/master/pkg
if patches are referenced from the build script using $K, you can find
them here
https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage/tree/master/KEEP
> According to the README (
> http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/README ):  "The musl project
> is actively seeking contributors, mostly in the areas
> of porting, testing, and application compatibility improvement."
> What type of help do you need with porting and application
> compatibility?
mostly finding portability bugs in programs, like missing include
directives, and then reporting the issue upstream
(and keep nagging them until they finally fix it).