Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:27:46 +0100
From: pierre <pierre@...entlife.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
Subject: Re: dladdr()

Rich,

> I don't see how any of these could crash without
> memory already having been corrupted.

That's what I wrote previously: my code populates
backtraces which could have been damaged by stack
smashing.

Backtraces are used to identify the cause of a crash,
which, by definition, may not be clean.

The information I wanted you guys to have is that,
for the same application code, both GLIBC and musl
compiled in DEBUG mode do not crash (while musl in
release mode crashes).

> Do you have a test case I could run,

In my previous email (the one you are answering)
I wrote:

  "I did not have time to isolate the problem in a
   reproducible code snippet but I will let you
   know when I have done that."

> have you tried building libc with -g and examining
> the crash in gdb to see where it happens?

In my previous email (the one you are answering)
I wrote:

  "for my main application (which populates backtraces
   with dladdr), musl dladdr() works in DEBUG mode and
   crashes in RELEASE mode."

The musl "DEBUG mode" tested here used -g2 and it did
not crash.

I am not trying to argue with you - there's no point
at doing that - I was merely providing the information
I had available when you asked "does it work for you?".

Pierre