Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:48:53 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status of 1.0 wishlist items?

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:36:41PM +0100, John Spencer wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 11:03 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> >
> >>Source-level compatibility goals:
> >>- LAMP stack
> >I'm guessing we may still have some issues here with mysql and perhaps
> >Apache. The other components work, I believe..
>
> apache is a must-have... unfortunately.
> i can look into it.
> berkeley db and php are working so far.

What about mysql? IIRC it was a failure in (some of?) the pkgsrc
builds.

> >>- Development stack (GCC, LLVM/clang, GDB, strace, ...)
> >Has anybody built LLVM/clang on musl? I believe the set of patches
> >needed for GDB has been reduced quite a bit now, but I'm not sure what
> >the status on strace is...
> i built clang half a year ago, it required quite a lot of patches tho.
> since that was a SVN version, i didnt collect the patches into a
> sabotage package.
> i guess i'll wait for the next release to come out, or apply the
> calloc bugfix manually to 3.2.
>
> gdb and strace are full of horrible ifdef orgies and glibc-assuming
> code, and still need a ton of patches.
> need to look into the strace git to see if my patches were accepted...

Okay.

> >>- Xorg (with actual drivers)
> >What issues are remaining here? This is probably the single most
> >important compatibility problem we've got.
> the X stuff requires knowing a lot of stuff and tricks about it,
> which i don't.
> i still hope someone originating from the suckless or arch linux
> communities, (ppl that seem to love to play around with exotic
> window managers etc..)
> tackles this.
> maybe someone could follow the LFS recipes and try to make it work ?

Okay.

> >>- LFS stack (minus possibly some useless stuff)
> >No idea.
> well, sabotage is more or less based on LFS, so most things in there
> should build, except some dark X11 corners that sabotage hasnt
> touched yet.

Sounds like it's mostly in good shape then.

> >>- QEMU
> >My understanding is that QEMU is working now, with minimal or no
> >patching. Is this right?
>
> the major remaining issue is the missing ifaddr.h functionality.
> once that is patched out, qemu builds OOB with musl-git on x86_64 and ARM.

Great.

> i guess for PPC and others we need to add some REG_XY values to
> signal.h to make it happy.

Yes, that still needs some attention..

> >>- Multimedia (FFmpeg/libav/x264/etc.)
> >Unless there have been regressions, this stuff should all be working,
> >but it would be nice to check.
> alsa seems to work, however there are some really nasty patches
> needed, i.e. the one that hardcodes the mutex initializer:
> sed -i
> 's@...READ_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP@...1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}}}@'
> src/conf.c
> sdl works as well, i haven't tested any video stuff though.

This is a bad "fix"; it's treating the structure as part of the ABI,
which it's presently not considered to be. If we want to support these
things, then the mutex structure should be reordered to match the
ordering it has in glibc so that the ABI matches. If not, alsa should
be fixed not to depend on them. But encoding assumptions about opaque
structures which are likely to change into binaries is a very bad
idea.