Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:19:28 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hello

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 06:29:13PM +0200, John Spencer wrote:
> >At this time I think to take an older X release without some stuff I
> >don't need. X11R7.6 build requires python and weird xml libs for
> >example. Maybe even XFree86 (to test it in qemu for the micro desktop
> >system project).
> >
> what kept me from configuring X11 to work properly is its huge
> freaking complexity.
> if an older version is simpler and can do the job as well, i'm all for it.
> i fear though that you won't get any up-to-date software compiled
> against it.
> probably not worth the effort.

As far as the server goes, even the oldest X server versions should
work fine with modern software (aside from possibly being really slow
when the software wants to do 3D, etc.). That's how X was designed.

With that said, they're also hell in terms of wanting to do low-level
hardware access themselves, not playing nice with the kernel, and not
supporting any modern hardware except maybe in unaccelerated vga,
vesa, or plain fbdev mode. And they're probably full of bad
nonportable legacy unix code and #ifdef hell..