Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 04:21:59 +0200
From: Luka Marčetić <paxcoder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts daily reports 08/11 - fixes to buf and alloc

On 08/11/2011 09:08 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Luka -
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 04:14:08AM +0200, Luka Marčetić wrote:
>> Buf should work now I guess (comitted), alloc still needs work around
>> for some specifics - albeit arguably rational - of musl.
>> So that's the priority, along with finishing pthread_eintr.
>>
>>   tests/alloc.c                                                     |   35
>>   tests/buf.c                                                       |  113 -
> Thanks for the report.  Where's the final line of diffstat output,
> though?  The above says that you mostly deleted a few lines from buf.c,
> but it does not tell how many and whether you also added/edited
> anything.  Overall, it does show that you made very little progress.

Hey, I just checked my e-mail. I removed ~ files, binaries, git data
etc, which is why I thought the last line made little sense.

> You should try not only to fix problems in code already written, but
> also make progress at further tasks each and every day.

Buggy code doesn't help much. That said, I did focus on pthread_eintr
today, rather than alloc. I'm pretty stuck with alloc. I just can't get
it to work with musl. Valgrind is clean, strace says little (or perhaps
I just can't interpret it well), and gdb - it just won't follow the
second child, so I can't step through it as I hoped to do.

>   Maybe limit
> your fixing of existing code to 4 hours per day (this sounds excessive
> to me, but it works as an upper limit), and use the rest of time
> (4+ hours per day since you need to work hard during the remaining GSoC
> time) for writing new code.  How does this sound to you?

The thing is, writing code means writing bugs, so it's just a matter of
time when the fine line is crossed. However, I'll try to take on other
tasks as well - esp. those that Rich suggested.
Luka