Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:34:31 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compilation error

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:36:58PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> * nicolas@...lier-web.com <nicolas@...lier-web.com> [2011-08-07 20:57:11 +0200]:
> > I tried to compile musl with the pcc compiler, but it failed because of :
> >
> > $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -Wl,-soname=libc.so -o $@ $(LOBJS) -lgcc
> >
> > Is the option -lgcc really necessary ?
> > I had removed it, and the compilation succeeded :)
>
> with pcc you don't need -lgcc obviously
> with gcc you need it

Doesn't pcc have its own equivalent library with the same functions
for big division, etc.?

This makes me think more and more I should just add the essential
functions to musl. That way we could make them faster and less
bloated. There are only a few that are actually useful anyway (at
least to libc) and for the rest apps/libraries can just pull in their
own copy from libgcc or libpcc via the compiler's default library
searches.

> btw pcc cannot build a correct musl now
> clock_gettime refers to a weak symbol
> but pcc does not know __attribute__((weak))
> so __vdso_clock_gettime ends up being
> an undefined symbol
>
> (there are various kinds of weakref related
> attributes and it's a known defect in pcc
> http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/jira/browse/PCC-362 )
>
> musl mostly uses weak aliases which happen
> to work with pcc imho clock_gettime is the
> only exception..

I'll try to work up a fix...