Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 09:31:55 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts weekly reports

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 03:15:15PM +0200, Luka Marčetić wrote:
> Well it's a bit too late to stop now, but I don't think fear is
> warranted: Cluts doesn't depend on python because a code generator
> is written in it. The generated code is regular C code, which could
> be written by hand if one wanted to. A code generator is not a
> preprocessor, it is just a handy tool to automate the process of
> writing code by hand. My generator takes in a .json file, and out
> generates most of the syntactic sugar, loops etc needed for the test
> collection to compile and run. That is to say, the generator is used
> to write the tests, not to run them.

Well the question is whether the intended usage, for someone adding
tests, is to add them by hand or by going back to the json "source"
file, adding them there, and rebuilding using the Python tool. In this
case cluts doesn't depend on Python to *run* the tests, but it does
depend on it to modify or update the tests. I'm still confused why
this can't be done in plain C, with the test parameters in C
structures that you loop over, much like some of the existing tests
(e.g. numeric).