Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 18:51:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts weekly reports

Luka, Rich -

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 03:15:15PM +0200, Luka Mar??eti?? wrote:
> Well it's a bit too late to stop now, but I don't think fear is
> warranted: Cluts doesn't depend on python because a code generator
> is written in it. The generated code is regular C code, which could
> be written by hand if one wanted to. A code generator is not a
> preprocessor, it is just a handy tool to automate the process of
> writing code by hand. My generator takes in a .json file, and out
> generates most of the syntactic sugar, loops etc needed for the test
> collection to compile and run. That is to say, the generator is used
> to write the tests, not to run them.

The syntactic sugar could either be produced with cpp macros (see Rich's
libc-testsuite) or avoided at all (see the str.c sample I posted in
June, where the arg_next() approach avoids having to use nested loops
at C source level while achieving the same effect as nested loops would).
Or you could use a reasonable mix of these two.

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 09:31:55AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Well the question is whether the intended usage, for someone adding
> tests, is to add them by hand or by going back to the json "source"
> file, adding them there, and rebuilding using the Python tool. In this
> case cluts doesn't depend on Python to *run* the tests, but it does
> depend on it to modify or update the tests. I'm still confused why
> this can't be done in plain C, with the test parameters in C
> structures that you loop over, much like some of the existing tests
> (e.g. numeric).

Right.

Anyway, now that Luka went with the Python approach already, I think it
makes sense for Rich to take a look a this stuff and discuss it with
Luka before deciding on what to do next.  I'll have to stay out of this,
focusing on other projects.

Thanks,

Alexander