Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 08:29:28 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for cracking hash collisions

Ian,

Please do not hijack threads like you just did.  Please always post to
the proper thread (or start a new one if the topic hadn't been discussed
yet or not recently) and only quote relevant context.

I will briefly reply this one time, but for anything further please use
the existing "dmg file with lost password" thread (which means: "reply"
to a message in that thread):

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2018/03/27/1

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 07:07:03PM -0400, Ian Boyd wrote:
> Anyone have experience cracking a DMG file on Mac?

I do.  It's sometimes successful (when the password is weak, or when the
person recalls enough info about the password and we focus the attack),
but usually not.

> IF so what is the best Johnny option to use? Been trying to crack for a month now.

I don't use Johnny, but in general you need to provide options and/or
config file edits to JtR to focus the attack based on whatever info
about the password you can recall.  It also helps to run the attack on a
fast machine with discrete GPUs (and enable their use with command-line
options to JtR).

For more detail, please use the proper thread, and if you don't mind
making this public you may describe what you can recall about the
password in there and then someone might help estimate your chances
and/or suggest specific JtR settings.

Alexander