Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:08:22 +0100
From: Matlink <matlink@...link.fr>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Is john really using Narayanan and Shmatikov
 whitepaper?

Le 16/03/2018 à 20:07, Solar Designer a écrit :
> I'm not aware of any documentation of incremental mode's internals.
> Since I still have an unimplemented idea for improving it, maybe I
> should revisit this if I have time in a few years from now (I doubt I'd
> have time for this sooner than that), and give a talk on it at that
> point (as I'd need to recall a few things anyway) - although it'd be a
> bit weird to do that on something that is already 20 years old, except
> for those improvements.

The thing is that if researchers have no explanation on how this mode
works, they are barely constrained not to use it because they won't be
able to interpret or understand their results with it.

Moreover, an implementation is always a subjective manner to resolve a
problem. Therefore, shortcuts are often applied due to the used
language, where they cannot be used in another language. If we have no
generic (language independent) algorithm (i.e. pseudocode) it might be
complicated to understand what the coder wanted to do.

Having such an explanation/documentation can benefit since many
contributors could question the way it has been implemented.

Currently I don't see any difference between incremental mode and a raw
order 2 Markov-chains-based model (or maybe letters positions are also
considered).

Mat

--
Matlink - Sysadmin matlink.fr