Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:38:49 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL CL_INVALID_DEVICE error in common-opencl.c:2061 - Error querying CL_DEVICE_TYPE

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:33:19AM +0200, Jacques Aucamp wrote:
> I uninstalled mesa with apt-get remove mesa*
>
> root@...iGPU:~/JohnTheRipper/run# ./john --format=LM-opencl
> ../../newhash.txt
> Device 0: GeForce GTX 660
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> Using default target encoding: CP850
> Loaded 1 password hash (LM-opencl [DES BS OpenCL])
>
> Seems it only finds one of the 2 GPU cards

JtR doesn't automatically use multiple GPUs.  You'll want to use
command-line options like "--dev=0,1 --fork=2".

More importantly, for fast hashes like LM it is pointless to use a GPU
when you're not using "--mask".  So you should either use "--mask" on
its own, or along with another cracking mode (referring to that other
mode's parts of the candidate passwords with "?w" in the mask).

magnum -

Maybe JtR should print a warning (and what to do) whenever a fast hash
OpenCL format is invoked and "--mask" is not specified?  Otherwise every
new person trying to use JtR on GPU against a fast hash would first fall
into this trap.

Similarly, I think JtR should at least warn, or better yet refuse to
run, when the list of devices given is longer than the number of forks.

Will you implement these warnings, please?

Alexander