Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 00:02:03 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Doing raw SHA512 hashes

magnum, Frank -

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 03:34:29PM -0500, Frank Wang wrote:
> Sorry about that. opencl_office2013_fmt_plug.c has a bunch of functions but
> no "main" function as far as I can see. What file calls the functions
> in opencl_office2013_fmt_plug.c to do the cracking? I'm mainly wondering
> this because I want to make sure that I'm using the kernel in the right way
> to get the optimizations that John the Ripper has done.

Please take this discussion to john-dev.  While it's not literally John
the Ripper development, it is close enough to that.  john-users is for
topics not involving discussing source code detail (as a maximum, it
may include how to apply a patch for an end-user to get a job done), and
john-dev is precisely for such topics that do involve source code detail.

In fact, some development topics that do not dive into the source code,
such as discussions on whether to add a certain feature or not, are
preferable to have here on john-users rather than unnecessarily limited
to the smaller john-dev sub-community.

So we draw the line at "does this involve discussing source code detail?",
and this works both ways.

Thanks,

Alexander