Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 04:07:31 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fork vs / w/ OpenMP

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:29:58PM +0000, Demian Smith wrote:
> Or would I be best of with running twice plain old
> alias john2='OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 ~/.bin/JohnTheRipper/run/john
> one time for each hash type?

You may.

Making a "./configure --disable-openmp" build and then using "--fork=2"
instead of OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 will provide a slightly higher c/s rate
(total for the two sub-processes), especially if your laptop is
sometimes under other load (OpenMP is inefficient when the system is not
otherwise completely idle).  However, whether this slight improvement is
worth it in your case is unclear, since you already have those old
sessions that you probably want to continue (you won't be able to easily
move from OpenMP to fork without starting anew).

Alexander