Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 02:49:40 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems with sha512 on fedora20

On 2014-10-09 01:16, Alex Regan wrote:
> trying to crack what I think are sha512 passwords:
>
> 04082:$6$UWv6MDUq$c2mQjv97TFZOt5VwiFBXXXsgzSx5CKBejQfATwCbOUrPdlIjMVvBM9T81u9I5MwJFIXxGBcE3u/FOUoTw6baDL0:16013::::::
>
> I believe type $6 is SHA512, correct?

Yes but the hash above is one character too short. The salt (after "$6$"
and up to next "$") can be up to 16 characters, while the hash (rest of
line) must be exactly 86 characters.

> When running john without any format options on this shadow file, it
> reports:
>
> Warning: hash encoding string length 100, type id $6
> appears to be unsupported on this system; will not load such hashes.
> Loaded 690 password hashes with 690 different salts (crypt, generic
> crypt(3) [?/64])
>
> When trying to specify sha512, as I've discovered from googling, it
> appears the format may not be supported?

In non-Jumbo versions of john, it's supported provided john is run on a
host that supports it. In the Jumbo version it's supported regardless
but it's called "sha512crypt" and not just "sha512".

> It also appears it may think several different formats are included in
> this shadow file? Every entry in the file includes $6$ to start...

I suppose there are 690 hashes that actually complies as being
sha512crypt, and at least one that doesn't.

magnum