Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 19:16:01 -0400
From: Alex Regan <mysqlstudent@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Problems with sha512 on fedora20

Hi,

I have a fedora20 box with john-1.8.0-2.fc20.x86_64 installed, and
trying to crack what I think are sha512 passwords:

04082:$6$UWv6MDUq$c2mQjv97TFZOt5VwiFBXXXsgzSx5CKBejQfATwCbOUrPdlIjMVvBM9T81u9I5MwJFIXxGBcE3u/FOUoTw6baDL0:16013::::::

I believe type $6 is SHA512, correct?

When running john without any format options on this shadow file, it
reports:

# john --session=sha shadow-100814-sha
Warning: hash encoding string length 100, type id $6
appears to be unsupported on this system; will not load such hashes.
Loaded 690 password hashes with 690 different salts (crypt, generic
crypt(3) [?/64])
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status

When trying to specify sha512, as I've discovered from googling, it
appears the format may not be supported?

It also appears it may think several different formats are included in
this shadow file? Every entry in the file includes $6$ to start...

# john --format=raw-sha512 --session=sha shadow-100814-sha
Unknown ciphertext format name requested

Running john without options:

# # john
John the Ripper password cracker, version 1.8.0
Copyright (c) 1996-2013 by Solar Designer
Homepage: http://www.openwall.com/john/

Usage: john [OPTIONS] [PASSWORD-FILES]
--format=NAME              force hash type NAME:
descrypt/bsdicrypt/md5crypt/
                            bcrypt/LM/AFS/tripcode/dummy/crypt

Does this mean sha512 isn't supported?

Thanks,