Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:59:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --dmg-opencl causes a segfault on my mac system
 with 4870...

On 2014-09-23 03:27, noir maru wrote:
> I am having trouble to get things going with opencl. I am on 10.9.5 and
> have built from the latest magnum jumbo bleeding edge.

> crashs-Mac-Pro:run crashtest$ ./dmg2john /Volumes/system32/passwords.dmg >
> hash
>
> /Volumes/system32/passwords.dmg (DMG v1) successfully parsed, iterations
> count 1000
>
> crashs-Mac-Pro:run crashtest$ ./john --format=dmg-opencl ./hash
>
> Device 1: Radeon HD 4870
>
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
> crashs-Mac-Pro:run crashtest$ ./john --test --format=dmg-opencl
>
> Device 1: Radeon HD 4870
>
> Segmentation fault: 11

First, grab the latest commit. A bug sneaked in 20h ago and a fix was
just committed. It had nothing to do with this issue but it stopped some
combinations of options, eg. using -test and -device at the same time. Then,

1. Try adding `LWS=64 GWS=512` before your command, as in

	$ LWS=64 GWS=512 ./john --format=dmg-opencl ./hash

That will limit workgroup size so would be slower, but does it work?

2. Try `rm kernels/*.bin` (drop kernel cache) and immediately after
that, try cracking (not testing) again. Any difference?

3. What if you use `--format=dmg` (the CPU version), does that work better?

4. What if you do use OpenCL but with `--device=CPU`, does that work?

5. What happens if you extract some test vectors like this and try them
instead of your hash file:

	../run/john --list=format-tests -form:dmg | grep -F '$1*' | cut -f3 >
test.in

Does that also crash?

Hopefully some of the above will help us nail the problem.

magnum