Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:55:31 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

On 2014-07-01 20:36, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-07-01 04:54, Richard Miles wrote:
>> One thing that called my attention is that hashcat do not make my GPU
>> cooler get very noise as with od6config. A bit weird, not?
>
> No. Hashcat does not default to maximum performance. Read the docs.

Sorry, I read too fast. When running benchmark, it does default to
maximum performance.

On 2014-07-01 04:54, Richard Miles wrote:
> I tried just with hashcat until the moment, because with JtR it's not
> detecting Opencl. I checked my bechmark and I think it's not that great:
>
> Device #1: Hawaii, 3072MB, 1000Mhz, 44MCU
>
> Hashtype: SHA1
> Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel
>
> Speed.GPU.#1.:  3698.8 MH/s
>
> It's likely below the expected performance.
>
> Performance
>
>     - PC1: Windows 7, 64 bit
>     - Catalyst 14.4
>     - 1x AMD hd7970
>     - stock core clock
>
> SHA1 2495M c/s

So a 7970 does 2495M c/s and your 290X does 3698.8M c/s. Looks pretty
good to me, no?

> One thing that called my attention is that hashcat do not make my GPU
> cooler get very noise as with od6config. A bit weird, not?

od6config pegs the fans at 100%, needed or not. Hashcat's internal fan
control only increases fan as needed. Naturally, the latter is quieter
until you run your GPU to the max for a couple of minutes.

magnum