Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 15:26:05 -0500
From: Richard Miles <richard.k.miles@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question about GPU and CPU.

Hi magnum,

Thanks, very appreciated your answer.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-07-01 20:36, magnum wrote:
>
>> On 2014-07-01 04:54, Richard Miles wrote:
>>
>>> One thing that called my attention is that hashcat do not make my GPU
>>> cooler get very noise as with od6config. A bit weird, not?
>>>

>> No. Hashcat does not default to maximum performance. Read the docs.
>>

> Sorry, I read too fast. When running benchmark, it does default to maximum
> performance.

Yeah, I learned it on the hard way. BTW, with default hashcat config the
speed is too bad, I need to use od6config and set it to higher fan and it
work very well, because if the temp get around 95C the speed really goes
down. I'm running now at 95% of fan and a bit of overclock.

od6config --set core=1050,mem=1350

My speed is much better now.

>  I tried just with hashcat until the moment, because with JtR it's not
>> detecting Opencl. I checked my bechmark and I think it's not that great:
>>
>> Device #1: Hawaii, 3072MB, 1000Mhz, 44MCU
>>
>> Hashtype: SHA1
>> Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel
>>
>> Speed.GPU.#1.:  3698.8 MH/s
>>
>> It's likely below the expected performance.
>>
>> Performance
>>
>>     - PC1: Windows 7, 64 bit
>>     - Catalyst 14.4
>>     - 1x AMD hd7970
>>     - stock core clock
>>
>> SHA1 2495M c/s
>>

> So a 7970 does 2495M c/s and your 290X does 3698.8M c/s. Looks pretty good
> to me, no?

Yeah, it's good now, even better.

One thing that called my attention is that hashcat is faster (at least on
md5crypt-opencl that I was using), here it was almost 30% faster which is a
good difference. I think it may be related with the options that I changed
--gpu-accel and --gpu-loops for better performance. Is there something
similar on JtR?

>  One thing that called my attention is that hashcat do not make my GPU
>> cooler get very noise as with od6config. A bit weird, not?
>>

> od6config pegs the fans at 100%, needed or not. Hashcat's internal fan
> control only increases fan as needed. Naturally, the latter is quieter
> until you run your GPU to the max for a couple of minutes.

Yeah, thanks.

I have a question that may be of others interest as well. When we work with
wordlists such as doing sort, grep, etc it's very slow on big wordlists
even with fast storage, I believe it's because they work with one single
core that is not that powerful. Do you know a way to make sort, grep, etc
work with all the cores at the same time on a big wordlist?

Or better, maybe a sort, grep, ... version that is GPU oriented?

Thanks.