Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 19:38:43 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Questions and suggestions to build a home cracking
 box. :)

On 2013-11-22 14:55, Richard Miles wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:
>> Yes HC is ahead of JtR in this regard, and they don't want to share
>> their efforts with us or anyone for that matter :(

That's not fair: Atom has shared *detailed* information of how he
optimized things. Telling him he "should" release his code would be no
more correct than telling me I should NOT release mine. That's his and
my decisions. Besides, Hashcat is still free as in no money. That's not
half bad.

> That's very sad. I know that jTr's developers are amazing hackers, why not
> reverse engineering their code? Is it illegal or so complex?

Lulz, we have absolutely no need to reverse Hashcat. We know exactly how
to make things faster. We just lack time and developers to adjust the
good old code base we're "stuck" with.

Once upon a time (starting before some of our listeners were born) Solar
designed JtR core code for a single core CPU and this code base is
fricking ingenious - for THAT. The problems we get with OMP scaling and
GPU performance are mostly caused by us stubbornly holding on to reusing
that code base. Any one of us jumbo-gpu-developers (we are few) could
probably write a standalone dumb-bruteforce "fast-hash" format that
approaches Hashcat speeds (I'm not saying we can do it better) - but I'm
not interested. I'm interested in making the JtR code base suitable for
the task. Hashcat will likely always be a tad faster (I almost hope it
will) and we use it as a benchmark: Whenever I get anywhere near Hashcat
speeds, I know I'm not doing things completely wrong.

magnum