Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 11:07:18 -0400
From: kzug <kzug10@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: What do you make of that?  (Not JtR Related)

Dear All,

Even though not related to JtR,  I find this Article from the Guardian very …interesting.
This new article (Sept 5, 2013) sheds light on few scary things, as well as the humongous power held by the NSA
From flaws to backdoors in encryption soft, to HTTPS, VPN, & AL.  clearly cryto-broken,  what remains "safe-er" to use?

Apparently,  a "huge" breakthrough was made in 2010, which in computing years makes it look like it was 40 years ago.  3 computing years later,  I am doubtful that something has remained safe.
Yesterday, I would have swear that a good ol' AES 256 was strong enough to keep them busy for a while,  but right now, I have a serious doubt.
I knew somehow that they were watching and listening, but I am baffled by the extent of their reach.

I would like to hear your expert opinion about it, what you think of it,  and how you see the near future.

K.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

PS.
Please do not mind me if  don't reply right away, the FBI is at the door...