Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:03:39 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems using -opencl formats with bleeding-jumbo build

On 6 Jun, 2013, at 7:08 , Martin Leon <martinrleon@...oo.com> wrote:
> Given that I now know several formats that DO work with OpenCL on my MacBook, is there a way to convert a wpapsk hash to one of the other formats that I can use OpenCL with?

No, but you may run the CPU format with OMP and get 4-5K c/s. But we can probably make wpapsk-opencl work on your gear. Try this too just for reference:

./john -t -form:opencl -dev=cpu

Does any format fail?

> On Jun 5, 2013, at 10:05 PM, Martin Leon wrote:
>> The following formats ran too slow for me to wait and see the outcome, not sure if they succeed or fail, but they do NOT crash the computer:
>>
>> 	md5crypt-opencl sha256crypt-opencl encfs-opencl rar-opencl

This is odd, the md5crypt format are simple and should be quick. Hm, maybe try this too:

./john -t=0 -form:opencl

This will run self-test only (reported speeds will be very low, disregard that). Does some formats work better now?

>> The following formats fail but do NOT crash the computer:
>>
>> 	office2007-opencl office2010-opencl office2013-opencl raw-sha512-opencl raw-sha512-ng-opencl sha512crypt-opencl xsha512-opencl xsha512-ng-opencl
>>
>> 	*** TESTING descrypt-opencl ***
>> 	OpenCL error (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE) in file (common-opencl.c) at line (582) - (clBuildProgram failed.)

You can try re-running the above test like this to get more info:

CL_LOG_ERRORS=stderr ./john -t -form:descrypt-opencl

>> The following formats cause the hard crashes that require power button shut down:
>>
>> 	ntlmv2-opencl krb5pa-sha1-opencl wpapsk-opencl

All these work with my (nvidia) MacBook. It would be nice to know if they work better with --test=0 - if they do I have some ideas how to fix it.

BTW you do have another option: Dual-boot into Ubuntu 13.04. This way I am pretty sure wpapsk-opencl (and most others, if not all) will work just fine.

magnum