Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:32:44 -0700
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "NO PASSWORD" Result in John for AIX password cracking

On 19 November 2012 15:30, John Evans <jev0313@...il.com> wrote:
> Whats up everyone?
>

> I'm running John in an AIX environment.  Occasionally, John returns output
> "NO Password".  I know the case isn’t that there is no password however, I
> cant find an explanation for this output.  Does it mean that John was
> unable to crack the password?  Or, does it mean that there was no password
> for John to Crack?

If you are seeing "No password hashes" then it is because it could not
find any hashes it knew about.

john.c
                if (!database.password_count) {
                        log_discard();
                        printf("No password hashes %s (see FAQ)\n",
                            total ? "left to crack" : "loaded");

If you are seeing something like:

root:NO PASSWORD

then I think you are seeing:

loader.c
        if (!*ciphertext) {
                found = 1;
                if (show) printf("%s%cNO PASSWORD", login,
db->options->field_sep_char);

                db->guess_count++;

which means that account did not have a password associated with it in
the password file.

root::0:0:root user:/root:/bin/sh

should trigger that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."