Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:10:00 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: .chr files (Was: automation equipped working place
 of hash cracker, proposal)

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:48:29PM +0200, Simon Marechal wrote:
> Le 13/04/2012 21:59, Rich Rumble a écrit :
> > Has anyone ever looked at any bayesian "predictions"? I'm no CS
> > professor, but it may be a neat endeavor for someone to look at. There
> > may be too much information to make a likely prediction, perhaps
> > finding (less obvious)patterns based on C V or D.
>
> Actually I have thought a bit about this. This could be fascinating to
> be able to deduce the kind of patterns somebody would use based on
> knowledge about him. For example I noticed that bank workers are more
> likely to choose a holiday destination as a password than others (or
> perhaps my dictionary had many holiday destination entries). This could
> go the other way, as you might have an idea of the kind of person that
> choose a star wars themed password.

During the contest there were a lot of passwords based on words related to the
contest. Most (if not all) of that were available on the contest's site.

So if we know that we crack password from some company we could try to use
words from this company's site or even from sites related to it's subject.

It is a guess. Though automatic site ripper could be helpful.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov