Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:03:57 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker,
 proposal

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:45:54AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 06:14 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > Could you imagine common interface for all multiple and single computer with
> > local or/and remote access? Assume that we already have abstract cracking
> > device that hides such technical details. So we have one or more persons
> > interacting with this device while it handles all dirty work like
> > distribution. Also assume that among all persons we have one which really
> > "push buttons" while others just suggest what to do. So there are only one
> > real person and one real computer.
> >
> > I mean that if we hide technical details than we have only one case: one
> > person with one computer. And there probably is optimal work flow for that
> > person. For other cases it varies a bit. But we could (try to) make real
> > interface (in software) that hides technical differences. And I think that is
> > what I intend to do.
> >
> > It seems to be too general and hard to do. So we stick only to optimal work
> > flow and do interface supporting only that. Is it rational? Or maybe it would
> > be harder than to develop general abstraction and employ it to support our
> > optimal work flow, wouldn't it?
>
> While this decision has to be made at some point before actual coding
> starts, I believe it is necessary to evaluate what could be gained by
> trying to automatically search for new patterns and automatically adjust
> the search strategy vs. supporting a common interface which lets you
> treat various resources as a single "cracking device", but lacking
> support for adjusting the strategy automatically.

I see the whole system as three parts: some ui (gui, tui, cli or interface
that is not a client-side program: web ui or mailing list front end (that
reads commands from mails) or whatever (maybe cli on the server side
accessible over ssh)), server part, distribution client. Server part accepts
hi-level tasks through ui and dispatches work onto remote nodes through
dispatches client. So my question was about how server works: does it have two
separate parts to dispatch commands remotely and to convert hi-level tasks
into John commands for other part? Is automatic pattern searcher built on top
of dispatcher? Or does it have integrated dispatcher (not usable by other
means)? I thought not pattern search vs. abstract "cracking device" but abstract
"cracking device" vs. direct access to multiple computers.

Though ideas to have just abstract "cracking device" or to have both tools but
not integrated together or to have just searcher are possible too.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov