Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:33:38 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: tags in mail subject on the lists (was: I: failed
 installation of john 1.7.8)

Alexander, Jim, magnum, all -

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 07:04:52AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> That's not what I wanted to communicate to you.  But indeed you're free
> to leave if you like.  One of the very reasons why I decided that it was
> time to end the Unix 101 discussion was that it'd cause others to leave -
> people who are in here for John the Ripper focused topics.
> For john-users, we have to strike a balance between helping everyone and
> keeping discussions on-topic and desirable for other list members.  I felt
> that this discussion thread was about to cross that boundary, becoming
> too off-topic.

I would like to propose to use tags in subjects of mails on the
mailing lists to provide users with ability to filter unwanted topics
out.

It seems to be on client side however I could imagine mailing list
server that supports filtering set for each user. (Maybe with some tags
filtered out by default.)

I saw some topics that are not widely desired but is important. For
instance on john-users there are unix 101 topics, history topic ("When
did you start?", I found it being very interesting for me) and on john-dev
there are gui development topics, status reports, and there could be
conversations between magnum and Jim but sadly they do not post it to
not flood while personally I would like to read such development talks
to learn more (maybe I am too lazy to read other source of knowledge).

Sometimes I would like to talk exactly with this community about
something helpful but not tightly related to list's intention just
because I like who and how talks here. I saw other ways (irc, jabber,
private mails) to talk with interesting users of the lists but talks
on the lists have some benefits.

Of course there are some other side effects that are not so good. So
tags are not a totally good solution. What do you think?

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov