Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:16:49 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: $H$ format

W.A. -

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:11:09PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  I can't load my $H$ hash in JTR 1.7.8jumbo4
>
>   test	md5_gen(17)$H$9pmUWqlKpXo/R2aiwyJnt6P/nNbv.A0

Remove the "md5_gen(17)" and the hash will be loaded just fine.  That
is, your input file may contain just:

$H$9pmUWqlKpXo/R2aiwyJnt6P/nNbv.A0

or including the username, it may be:

test:$H$9pmUWqlKpXo/R2aiwyJnt6P/nNbv.A0

Then you simply run "john" on it with no options at all, and it works.
(I've just tested.)

> iMac-de-xxx-xx:run xxxxxx$ ./johnsse2 -i:all test.txt
> -format='md5_gen(17)'

Not related to this specific case, but in general: there's never any
point in specifying the format unambiguously _both_ in the input file
and on the command-line at once.  One is enough.  The --format option is
for cases when either the format is ambiguous from the input file(s)
alone or you have more than one format in there (so you choose one).

In this case, it's enough that your hashes start with the $H$ prefix.
Nothing else is needed.

>  please, is someone can build a clear doc with all format supported in
> JTR and the right syntax type in terminal ?

I'll let someone else respond to this.

Thanks for your criticism.

Alexander