Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:17:48 +0100
From: "Magnum, P.I." <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Extended MPI support

I just uploaded an extended MPI patch to the wiki at
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

The patch is supposed to be applied after 1.7.5-jumbo2. It's still just
a toy but it's fun to play with if you happen to have a multicore host
or even a multihost cluster.

Basically this is just the good old mpi10 patch with further hacks. Like
before, the MPI interface is not really being used much more than for
every process to know its own ID and how many more there are.

This is just experimental code. Most importantly, do not blame Solar
Designer if you encounter problems. Do not blame me either, instead just
fix it and submit your patch ;)

==Features==
===Support for all cracking modes===
In Markov mode, this means auto-splitting the range across all nodes,
just as you would do manually as described in the wiki. The rest of the
modes are more or less silly hacks (leapfrog rules if used, otherwise
leapfrog words) and there are lots of possible optimizations yet to be made.

===Support for stopping/resuming MPI jobs===
I assumed the Incremental mode already supported resuming in mpi10, so I
haven't double-checked that (anyone confirm?). The rest of the modes are
fairly well tested though, they should resume correctly without losing sync.

===Other minor changes===
These are various little things I personally wanted, take it or leave it:

* The rec file indexing is now placed before the .rec extension, so
files will be called job.n.rec instead of job.rec.n
* If running without mpiexec (or just on one node), the .rec file will
not have the .0 added to it, so when using this MPI enabled john like a
"normal" one, you won't notice any difference.
* --status will show an extra line telling the total number of guesses
as well as aggregated cps.
* Many error messages are only displayed by node #0, to avoid silly
repetitions of output.
* If you try weird things like running -stdin or -show on several nodes
in parallel, john will tell you it's not a good idea and bail out.

===Still missing features===
There still is no inter-process communication of cracked hashes. This
means that if one node cracks a hash, all other nodes will continue to
waste time on it. This same problem exist when running several instances
of "normal" john manually - the only workaround is to periodically abort
and resume jobs.

===Licensing===
There really was no rocket science involved. Like the mpi10 patch, my
extensions are licensed "under the same terms as John the Ripper itself"
as stated in doc/LICENSE.mpi. In case that does not make sense, my work
is hereby placed in the public domain.

Enjoy!
magnum