Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:33:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: John the Ripper on Linux live CD

Regarding trying out different builds of John on a computer which has
its hard drive occupied with Windows:

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 02:32:18PM +0000, Phantom wrote:
> Maybe some live cd with a 64 bit linux version might work "natively"...?

Yes - if you can find a live CD which would have "development tools"
(actually, that's gcc and the necessary C header files and libraries).

We do have development tools on Owl live CDs, but so far we only have
live CDs for 32-bit x86.  (We will likely have an ISO image for x86-64
soon.)  Yet this may be a good start for you.

Of course, Owl 2.0 live CDs include pre-built JtR 1.7 (MMX with a
runtime fallback to plain x86 on ancient CPUs) - but there's nothing
which stops you from building a newer version of John while you're
booted off the CD.  You can get this stuff here:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

or here:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/orders.shtml

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598