Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:40:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: problem with make-charset and 1.6.39 on ppc32-altivec

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 07:35:39PM -0400, Douglas F. Calvert wrote:
> However when i try and do a make-charset john bombs on the
> resulting all.chr:
>
> dfc@...p:~/john-1.6.39/run$ ./john -i:ALL pass
> Loaded 17247 password hashes with 3976 different salts (Traditional
> DES [128/128 BS AltiVec])
> Incorrect charset file format: $JOHN/all.chr
>
> This happens when i build for ppc32-altivec, ppc32 or generic.
> I am at a loss for what is happening or on how to proceed.

If there are any compiler warnings, I'd be interested in seeing the
entire output of "make linux-ppc32-altivec".  Also, if possible, I'd
like a copy of the incorrectly produced *.chr file.  You can generate
one out of an almost-empty john.pot if you do not want to reveal any
information on your actual cracked passwords.

Please also try adding "-fsigned-char" to the CFLAGS, -- does it help?

Unlike almost all other architectures, PPC traditionally has "char"
unsigned by default.  Although John tries to be neutral to char
signedness, this is still a primary suspect.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar