Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:28:08 -0700
From: Fred Wang <waffle.contest@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Judy array

On Sep 13, 2015, at 7:45 PM, Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
> Nice!! Unlike perfect hash tables, Judy array are supposed to be cache friendly. However, I'm curious regarding the number of lookups required!!. I'll study them in more details.
>
> Fred, have you compared the performance of bloom filters vs bitmaps(maybe one or multiple)?

Yes.  For the most part (and in particular, when Bloom filters are very sparse), they are always a win for "our" type of lookup.  In cracking, the vast majority of hashes will fail, and that is what I optimized for.

A Judy array on its own is already faster than what John is doing.  Fronting this with a Bloom filter vastly improves performance.  Regretfully, I did not keep my bitmap timing - but it was not impressive.

I use a 10-year-old Dell 2950 as my test environment, precisely because it uses slower memory, and more easily shows improvements.  For my "standard" test case (MD5, 29 million hashes, a ~13 million entry dictionary, and best64 rules, yielding about 1 billion hash attempts to find about 1.7 million solutions)

hashcat	3 minute 54 seconds
mdxfind	1 minute 15 seconds  (Judy only)
mdxfind	47 seconds  (Current code, Bloom filter + Judy)

Its important to note that this includes the time to read 29M hashes, and store them - this takes about 22 seconds on the test box.  The box uses dual E5410  @ 2.33GHz, so 8 cores.

So, Judy on its own is pretty darn good, but fronting it with a Bloom filter is pure win for this application.

Please take some time to try it out.