Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:57:59 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plaintext truncation

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:09:06PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> To implement this, we probably need to introduce a new format flag.
> Should we call it FMT_TRUNC?  And what should it mean - target system's
> truncation or JtR's truncation at a length below the target system's?

OK, I think it should be FMT_TRUNC and it should mean the target
system's truncation, which JtR will replicate (like it does now).

When that flag is not set, JtR will no longer truncate (it will skip),
so the name FMT_TRUNC will make sense (truncate when this flag is set,
and do not truncate but rather skip when it is not).

It's also consistent with our current FMT_CASE and FMT_8_BIT flags.
Arguably, these are better replaced with their opposites (introduce
FMT_CASELESS and FMT_7_BIT, and use those on the few formats that
currently do not have the FMT_CASE and FMT_8_BIT flags set), but this
can be done as a separate change and it would remain consistent with
having FMT_TRUNC as well (would be another rarely set flag).

Alexander